Primary responsibilities include planning, organizing and directing the overall operation of laboratory services for three hospitals and all outpatient locations. Working closely with the Medical Director(s), this position facilitates visionary leadership to help integrate and develop pathology and clinical lab services that effectively provides high quality, cost effective and technologically advanced laboratory services across the health system. Additional responsibilities include planning, compliance, management of resources and services including staff, expense management, revenue growth, capital assets and technology to ensure the developed goals align with the strategic objectives of the organization. Ensuring compliance with all state, federal and local regulatory laws, standards and protocols.
• Direct the utilization of material and personnel resources in an effective and efficient manner under the direction of the Laboratory Medical Director.
• Oversee the development and monitoring of annual department operating, personnel and capital budgets
• Identify, develop and implement opportunities and new testing that optimize services and create revenue opportunities.
• Oversee supply purchases to meet contract guidelines and maximizes GPO opportunities.
• Coordinate purchases to align with departmental development.
• Manage vendor contracts and negotiations to ensure cost effective utilization of service and equipment across the health system.
• Compile and maintain statistical reports to evaluate detailed facility and departmental performance related to revenue, expenditures and resource
• Work to make efficient use of all resources across the health system.
• Ensure alignment of objectives across the health system and within the laboratories.
• Analyze operational processes and services to determine efficiency. Directs the development of process improvements to achieve goals.
• Lead management team in the development of strategic planning to assure appropriate staffing levels and staff satisfaction in scheduling.
• Provide leadership and support to other hospital departments to aid in delivery of services.
• Initiate the development and oversees the administration of performance management programs.
• Support continuous quality improvement by participation in health system performance improvement plans
• Assist manager in the development of department operations with focus on performance improvement/enhance across the health system.
• Enforce consistency in the application of corrective action and performance improvement.
• Develop opportunities for the advancement of staff through skill development and advanced skills training.
• Establish and monitors performance indicators for all critical operations.
• Responsible to direct the administration and management of department operations to assure compliance with regulatory agencies (ex. CLIA, HIPAA, CAP,
• Manage the department charge master to ensure coding and compliance and appropriate maximization of reimbursement.
• Direct and coordinate the operational protocols and practices to assure billing compliance.
• Assist managers to assure inspection readiness and orchestrate the resolution of any non-compliance such as inspection deficiencies to assure corrective
• Serve as a resource. Assists in the continuing education of staff in compliance issues to assure competency.
• Oversee the education and competency of staff addressing billing issues to assure quality and timely resolution.
• Represent the Laboratory and Health System in the interaction with vendors, clients and Healthcare providers.
• Market the organization's laboratory services (ex multiphasics, new clients).
• Negotiate competitive contracts.
• Develop and maintain productive relationships, strategic linkages and alliances both internal and external.
• Serve as a consultant within the Health System regarding areas related to lab services by active representation on committees.
• Facilitate coordination and integration of interdepartmental services.
• Oversee the development, operation and management of laboratory related computer systems to ensure effective utilization of resource and the maximization
of integration of systems.
• Direct LIS development, interfacing with I.T. and C.I.O.
• Participate in evaluation, selection and integration of health care technologies and information management systems.
• Responsible for orchestration of system enhancement to ensure accurate interaction of various software.
• Serve as a system resource to investigate and lead the resolution of complex problems.
• Guide, direct and evaluate the utilization of system functions to maximize operation efficiencies.
• Direct the planning, development and management of departmental vision, goals and objectives.
• Collaborate with Laboratory Medical Directors to develop long term strategy for provision of services and design of a comprehensive and coordinated model
for delivery of services.
• Build collaborative interaction with other health system departments to provide quality and timely delivery of services.
• Provide analysis and evaluation of effectiveness of service integration.
• Remain current in technology, managing capital acquisitions, investments and maintenance of equipment.
• Evaluate instrumentation for cost effectiveness, both in supplies and labor; under direction of senior leadership makes decision for acquisition.
• Work to enhance the organization's outreach activities and referral networks to ensure effective partnerships are formed.
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field and five (5) years of laboratory experience.
• Two (2) to Four (4) years supervisory/management experience in laboratory setting.
• Experience directing both Anatomic and Clinical Pathology Specialties.
• Strong leadership ability, good organizational skills, independent and critical thinking skills, sound judgment, and knowledge of legal aspects.
• Strong ability to communicate complex and/or controversial topics and concepts to a wide and diverse audience.
• Master's Degree in related field.
• Experience in Core Lab.
• Experience in a Health System or multi-facility Health System.
• Experience with regulatory and accreditation of laboratory operations, preferably CLIA and CAP.
Excela Health is an organization dedicated to creating a positive work environment and culture for its employees. Teamwork, safety and quality are attributes we are proud of.
Benefits includes PTO, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 403b employer match, tuition reimbursement, employee wellness program, employee assistance program, various voluntary benefit offerings and free parking. Excela Health is a Tobacco Free work place environment.